Sometimes it’s a long video that you want to listen to during your drives. Or maybe there’s a video you want to listen to but you want to use a different app at the same time.
In this post, I’ll walk through an easy way to get some of the ‘premium’ features of Youtube Premium for free. These include:
- Watching videos without ads
- Play videos with a locked screen.
How to watch Youtube videos without ads and with a locked screen.
First, using Safari, search for the Youtube video title on Google.
Then, view the video using the ‘full screen’ button on the top right corner of the video thumbnail.
Now, lock the screen. You should see the following:
If you click the play button, your video should be able to play even with a locked screen. If this doesn’t work the first time, try letting the video play for a bit longer in the ‘view’ mode in Safari, then lock your screen.
You should be able to listen to your video now with your phone locked. If you unlock your phone however, the video will stop playing in the background.
To let the video continue playing in the background whilst you use your phone, swipe down to access your control centre. Then, open an unrelated app like clocks or calculator.
You will notice that the video is playing in the background in the player widget in the control centre.
Here are some more advantages of this method:
- Podcasts/Interviews/Long-form content that are only available on Youtube can now be played on-the-go.
- Minimal distractions from Youtube recommendations.
- No Ads! Your video will continue playing smoothly in the ‘view’ mode in Safari. (Particularly useful for certain types of content)
Well, there you go! Use this technique wisely…